Texas SAR C.A.R. Essay Contest
Subject: “WHO WAS GENERAL BERNARDO de GALVEZ?"
Purpose: Assist five (5) T.S.C.A.R. members with college scholarships.
Program: TEXAS SAR provides scholarships to five T.S.C.A.R. members in good standing in the T.S.C.A.R. for 2 years or more. Scholarships are offered to defray costs for books, tuition, room, and board while attending an accredited college or university. Scholarship winners will receive a letter of instructions from the Treasurer of the TEXAS SAR.
Eligibility: Contestants must be enrolled in an accredited High School (or equivalent program, including Home School) as a sophomore, junior, or senior student; or enrolled in an accredited college or university as a freshman student. There is a four-year window of eligibility for T.S.C.A.R. members to compete in the TEXAS SAR Essay Contests. Essay contestants can submit applications and enter contests each year, as long as they meet eligibility criteria.
Application: Eligible T.S.C.A.R. members are encouraged to complete the Essay Contest application found in the annually published T.S.C.A.R. Yearbook. The application, essay, school transcript, parents’ permission, and letters of support must be submitted to the local TEXAS SAR Chapter located near the applicant’s T.S.C.A.R. Society. The application must be received no later than January 16th 2018. If mailed, it should be post marked no later than January 16th. Note that the applicant’s Social Security number must be provided if the essay is selected for a monetary award.
Process: Send completed applications to the local TEXAS SAR Chapter, Attention: T.S.C.A.R. Liaison Officer or Chapter President. The Sponsoring Chapter reviews it for content and grammar and selects the best essay of those received. One application per Chapter will be sent to the Chairman, TEXAS SAR C.A.R. Essay Contest for competition at the TEXAS SAR State level. It should postmarked no later than February 1st of 2018.
Awards: Funding for awards is determined by the TEXAS SAR Patriots Fund Projects Committee during the Annual TEXAS SAR State Convention preceding the contest year. The awards for the Essay Contest are $2,500.00, $750.00, $500.00, $300.00, and $150.00 respectively for first thru 5th place winners.
Take time to fill out the scholarship application. Deserving members of T.S.C.A.R. who participate in the contest have a unique opportunity to not only receive help in college expenses, but also have the opportunity to learn through their research about American Revolutionary history. Scholarship winners will be announced at the T.S.C.A.R spring meeting.
Deadline for application is January 16, 2018 (post-marked)
TEXAS SAR C.A.R. Essay Award Contest Rules
- Applicant must be a member of the Texas Society Children of the American Revolution (T.S.C.A.R.) for two (2) years or more.
- Applicant must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above.
- Applicant must be enrolled as a full time student, be in the sophomore, junior, or senior year of high school or a full time student as a freshman in an accredited college or university.
- Applicant must provide copy of official transcript of most recent semester.
- Applicant must complete the attached application form.
- Applicant must submit letters of recommendation from:
Teacher or Adult Leader of an organization in which the applicant has taken an active part, and anyone else the applicant so chooses.
- Applicant must submit a typed and grammatically correct essay, 500 words (plus or minus 50 words) on the following topic:
“WHO WAS GENERAL BERNARDO de GALVEZ?”
- Applications must be postmarked by January 16, 2018 and mailed to: The TEXAS SAR Chapter contact for the Chapter in the local area of the applicant’s T.S.C.A.R. Society.
- Complete and mail the “Parental/Guardian Permission Release Form” with the application.
- The Essay contest winners will be announced at he T.S.C.A.R. spring meeting.
- TEXAS SAR Sponsoring Chapter will judge the application(s) and select the Winner to represent the Chapter in the State level competition. The Chapter contact should contact the winner and advise the applicant that the Essay was the 1st place winner at the Chapter level and be invited to a Chapter meeting to be recognized. Chapter contact for the essay Contest then submits the application to the Chairman, TEXAS SAR C.A.R. Essay Contest noted above no later than February 1, 2018.
Compatriot Ronald Carter, Chairman, TEXAS SAR C.A.R. Essay Contest
Compatriot Ricardo Ramirez, Committee Member
Compatriot James Mitchell, Committee Member
Compatriot William Covington, Committee Member
The majority vote of the Judges will be final