Outstanding American History Teacher Contest
The Tom & Betty Lawrence Outstanding American History Teacher Award is the result of a national contest in which local SAR Chapters select their candidates for the State Society Contest (in this case, the Texas SAR) for which there is a State Award. The winner of the State contest is submitted for consideration at the National (NSSAR) level.
Both application forms and release forms can be obtained from the NSSAR Tom and Betty Lawrence American History Teacher Award page.
Texas Society Contest Rules -
The NSSAR Tom & Betty Lawrence American History Award rules will apply to the Texas Society Sons of the American Revolution Outstanding American History Teacher. The Texas Society Outstanding History Teacher will be automatically entered in the NSSAR contest. The rules are also available on the NSSAR web site www.sar.org under the Education tab.
Texas Society Awards
The winner of the Texas SAR Outstanding American History Teacher Award winner will receive a $1500 bond or a trip to the Freedom Foundation Graduate Workshop in Valley Forge, PA.
How to Enter
- Carefully read the entry rules for the Tom & Betty Lawrence American History Teacher Award.
- Submit the required forms and letters to a local chapter by December 18.
- Contact the nearest local SAR chapter by logging on to www.txssar.org or email contest chairman K. B. Hallmark, III.
- The local chapter will judge their entries and send the chapter winner information to K. B. Hallmark, III who will form a committee to judge the state winner.
- Complete the Tom & Betty Lawrence American History Teacher Award entry form.
- 500 word essay.
- Two signed letters of recommendation.
- One page bio.
- Release & Discharge form (attached).
- All materials must be typed/printed on 8½” x 11” paper.
- All materials will remain the property of the NSSAR.
The Outstanding American History Teacher Contest winner will be reimbursed according to the Travel and Convention Expense Allowance schedule for travel to the Texas SAR state convention.
Award recipients are responsible for any/all other costs including additional meals. If there are any questions about reimbursements, please contact the Chairman of your respective contest.